Sunday, January 12, 2014

CW ltr from Pages...

Civil War letter from Emanuel Burget

"April (May?) the 20th   1865
Camp near Alexandria Virginia 
Dear wife
It is with the greatest of pleasure that I have one more opportunity of writing you a few lines to let you know that I and all the rest of the corner boys are well with the exception of I Gross and Ofs More(.)  Joe is well but he has
Pages four & one
the rheumatism so he couldn't march. he and Orr was sent from Richmond on the cars and I haven't heard from them since. I expect they are at Washington. I do sincerely hope when these few lines comes to hand they may find you enjoying good
pages two & three

health. I just received your most welcome letter of Apr the 21st and was truly glad to hear that you was well.
Well now Naomi I will tell you something about our march. we started on the last day of April landed here yesterday and 19 making just 20 days march. I marched all the way. also was pretty hard on me. I just got up to the regiment the night before they started on the march. I came pretty near being left at Raleigh. I took sick at capefear river and the doctor thought I had the smallpox and sent me to the smallpox hospital but it didn't hurt me much. the doctor of the hospital said I had the verioloid. I was only sick one week and only stayed at the hospital two days. I was very weak for the first few days afterward,
but I kept right up with the regiment. you would been surprised to have seen me I was as spotted as leopard. the doctor made me through my clothes all away but I had on only my hat and shoes. you say you would like to see me. I guess would like to see you and the children and I do hope and believe that I will have the pleasure of seeing you again first of July 
at the very longest. if it was the smallpox I had it didn't leave any marks that you can notice. tell Cin that if I have the luck to get home that I will bring her doll. tell Billy I will bring him something to and
I will bring Naomi something to. I want you to keep some of that sausage for me when I come home. Well Naomi I am tired and I will close. I got a letter from Almira and Marg yesterday I will write to them tomorrow.
From your loving Husband Emanuel Burget
To Naomi Burget And Cin & Will"
             Partial obit


58th I.V.I. Partial roster
"...he enlisted, March 4, 1865, in company C, Fifty-eighth I. V. I., and was assigned to the Fourteenth army corps, army of the Cumberland.  He passed through the campaigns of North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia and Kentucky; was a member of the pontoon detail, and was constantly skirmishing for many weeks.  He was honorably discharged July 25, 1865, and now receives a pension of six dollars per month..." Claybaugh's History of Clinton County... and obit.
---
Bridge Pontooners encamped


Carolinas campaign with Cape Fear                  Alexandria encampments








Alexandria, VA in 1865 
with a military camp in the background

















[Further information is available at my ancestry.com and Familysearch trees.]

--- Draft... Fair use... Emphasis added...